Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Rejoice while Waiting - 2/24/2015

Rejoice while Waiting - 2/24/2015

I have not written anything in...forever! I am writing again because 1. I want to, and 2. I am in a period of waiting.

For those who do not know, this past weekend we had the Ligonier National Conference. It was a wonderful time! I met with a couple from Augusta, GA. They are from a church in Evans, GA and they are looking for a new youth director for their church. On the first day of the conference, I had the first interview with them. It went incredibly well! I met with them the second day of the conference for further clarification on things! He mentioned that he thought I would fit the role of their new youth director perfectly. He said, "I think you're our guy." At this, my heart jumped with excitement and fear! Tremendous fear! In just a few short months I might become their new youth director and be moving to Georgia! What a thought!

He told me that the next step would be a phone interview with one of the ruling elders from the church. Monday evening the call came! Nervously, with Bible ready and testimony in mind, I listened carefully to his words about the youth group and their goal. 20 minutes later, it was over. To be honest, I was in shock because it was so short and he did not ask me, well, about me. He told me a lot of information and listened to me the few times I spoke, but nothing like I was expecting. He concluded the time by saying that he would get back to me in 30-60 days. With much surprise and disappointment, we said goodbye.

Now what? I'm there with Bible ready to go, ready to spell out my philosophy of youth ministry and talk about myself to this man who literally holds my future in the balance, but nothing happened! How am I supposed to wait for 30-60 days in eager anticipation for another phone call with their evaluation of me and whether they wanted to move forward with me or someone else? Well, I am writing this post not for myself, well, sort of for myself, but for others who might be in a spot like me.

I am not an expert, but this morning, in my devotions, I read some wonderful things! Proverbs 3:21-24 reads, "My son, do not lose sight of these - keep sound wisdom and discretion, and they will be life for your soul and adornment for your neck. Then you will walk on your way securely, and your foot will not stumble. If you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet." This last part about the sweet sleep is especially comforting to me. I often lay in bed and think about the crazy things in my life. I lay there and think of the things in my future. I lay there and look to myself and my problems rather than to God and his goodness. I lay there, and I do not sleep. To adorn one with jewelry is more than just to wear it. In verse 3 of the same chapter we see that we must "bind" steadfast love and faithfulness. The context of faithfulness compared to wisdom is a little different, but The language of bind is, as Derek Kidner writes, "striking expressions  for glorifying in, mediating on and acting by these principles." Derek Kidner is a commentator of the Old Testament.  Not always in the Old Testament does the jewelry motif mean this, but in the case of the wisdom in v. 21, it has a very similar meaning. Wisdom, no matter the circumstance, is what we must be glorifying in, mediating on, and acting by. We ought to live by wisdom because wisdom is from the Lord. Truly living in this wisdom is what beings peace of mind.

One other subject I read this morning is on contentment. I read this from a book called The Secret of Contentment by William B. Barclay. In it he is writing in light of Phil. 4:10-13. This is Paul's writing and he is writing on being content in the situation he is in; which is prison. To be content is to be truly joyful. Paul exemplifies this in this book of the Bible. The theme of joy is a permeating theme. "Joy" or "Rejoice" is found some 16 different times in this book. Barclay writes, "Joy refers to a state of gladness that typically occurs in Scripture with the recognition that God is in control no matter where we find ourselves. . . .The joyful heart is the contented heart, because it recognizes and delights in God's sovereign power and providential goodness." (Emphasis mine) I could be wrong, but it seems to me that joy is not based on external circumstances, but rather on internal promises from God. And believing in the internal promises is a work of the Holy Spirit.

To be wise is to believe in God even when circumstances are like mine; confusing and disorienting. I thought everything would be a perfect match and instead I was told to wait, for what seems like forever. In this moment in life, let's pray for wisdom and contentment. The Lord is pleased to give it generously! 

Thank you!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment