Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Friday 5/30/14 - The Elder Brother

Friday 5/30/14 - The Elder Brother

To be completely honest, I do not remember what happened this day. I write these blogs the day or several days after the day itself and in that time I have no recognition of what happened this Friday. I tried for a while to remember, but my memory is faulty. I do, however, remember the thoughts I had during the day.

When I was in Barnes and Nobles, I read several chapters of The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller. A fantastic book, by the way! As the title may suggest it was about the parable of the prodigal son in the book of Luke. (Then again, I did not figure that out until I opened the book) The emphasis that Keller took, which I think is the right approach, is that of the elder brother rather than, but not in neglect of, the younger brother. Many times, when discussing this passage, people will place the emphasis on the younger brother who squanders his portion of the inheritance early and completely throws his life away. He plans to come back to the family, but to work as a hired servant instead of a son. From a distance away the father sees him, runs to him, and embraces him. He loves him and brings him back into the family with a great celebration. That is often the main point of sermons and devotionals and whatever else, but the parable is being told to Pharisees who are in the crowd. The focus should then probably be put on the elder brother who is more like the Pharisees. Jesus tells of the elder brother who does not enter the party because he is upset. He is upset at the fact that he has worked faithfully for his father and has not even touched his portion of the inheritance, but the younger receives a party when he returns from his rebellion. He thinks that he should receive more, or at least something for the work that he has done. The father come out to plead with him to rejoice in the return of his brother. That's where the parable ends. The thought that I had was, "I am that elder brother! For years I always thought of myself as the younger brother, exclusively. No, I am more and more like the elder. I have obeyed and you do not give me what I want or what I deserve. Or, at least what I think to be a fair trade for my good works. What gives, God? Come on now, work with me. How sinful am I! I deserve nothing! Absolutely nothing! Yet God, in his grace and mercy alone, has so preserved me and given me life. Just breathing, in and of itself is enough, but he has given me so much more. What do I do now? How do I combat the inclination to the elder brother?" That's what I was thinking. It is not a complete thought, in that I am still processing and trying to understand more and more the sin and wrong motives in which I act. But God, even here, is merciful to begin to show me where my sin sits deep in my soul. Praise God!

Thank you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment