Saturday, May 31, 2014

Tues, Wed, Thurs 5/27, 5/28, 5/29 - I'm a hipster...

Tues, Wed, Thurs 5/27, 5/28, 5/29 - I'm a hipster...

Well, friends, it's been a while. Life got away from me the last couple of days. It was mostly because of the message that I had to prepare for Wednesday evening. I forgot how much time one took. Then, after that, I was less focused on this blog and whatnot. Anyways, I will do my best to summarize the past 3 days. 

Tuesday - I do not remember too much. I remember working on my message. Not a whole lot, but I still worked on it. I went to a concert that was held at a friend's church. The choir who sung was from another church in AL. They were touring the state of FL and singing in many different churches. Then, we, some other friends and I, went and picked up one of my roommates! So, I am no longer alone in the apartment! 

Wednesday - This day was all message and youth group prep. I woke up early and went to Starbucks and wrote out my full message. It took several hours! Rarely do I spend that much time at Starbucks actually working on something. Then, I practiced my message in front of some friends. (That was more nerve wracking than actually speaking it to the youth) Next, I went to a friend's house to work on some of the music for the night. Finally, youth group! It was terrifying to have the reins. I made the choices and lead the evening. Yikes! But, the leaders were there in full support of me! It was great to know that they had my back. We went to Chick fil a afterwards! 

Thursday - I slept in! I met with a friend later in the afternoon and we spoke for a little bit. Then, some friends and I decided to go to the beach. We ended up not going because it was raining and there was an accident that slowed up the interstate. So, we chose to go to the movies instead. After getting Starbucks, we walked around a park for an hour or so. While there, I had another ballet lesson. I did not see this first hand, but was told afterwards that as we practiced people would smile at us as we worked. (I think they were laughing at me, but I could not tell) My friends decided to see the new X-Men movie. I went to the mall instead, walked around, ended up in Barnes and Nobles. 

It is interesting because being inside of Barnes and Nobles reminds me of home. Reminds me of the Northeast. Reminds me of when I first began college. What I mean is that when I began college back in 2010, there was a sense of academia that is different than the one that I experience now. Being in the Northeast, there is a lot of historical landmarks that make me feel smart(er). It's hard to explain, but in the city of Philadelphia, there are 2 major universities that all sit right next to each other; University of Penn and Drexel. (There are lot more universities, but these two stand out because I spent a lot of time there) There is a level of academics that is required when studying there; at either of those universities. I did not grow up there, but often would be in that area, walking on the campuses and, more often when I began college, when I had spare time in the city, studied in the coffee shops there. I remember going to a old, run down bookstore. Not rundown in the sense of gross and dirty, but tons of character. Sitting in some of the coffee shops and not having a place to sit because every single table had a student studying something there. Going to a couple a different forums that just the mere introduction made your head hurt. Having so much history at my fingertips that it surrounded me. So many museums and major historical landmarks nearby that that's where we went for fun. Boathouse row, the art museum, the liberty bell, etc. All of this, comically, was during the major hipster movement; which I fell into. Yes, I have a little part of me that is hipster, or, at least is drawn towards being a hipster... But, aside from that, walking into that Barnes and Nobles transported me back home. The people, the smells, the academia, the everything! It was so good to go there! 

Thank you!    

No comments:

Post a Comment