Saturday, May 24, 2014

Thursday 5/22/14 - Loneliness

Thursday 5/22/14 – Loneliness

Today was semi uneventful. Slept in and didn’t do anything until 1 in the afternoon. Later I went to RTS to check out some books for the upcoming teaching I’ll be doing. Later, I had some friends over to watch a movie; which promptly and understandably turned into a dance party! The unexpected thing that happened is that the roommates that I thought would be here, they have all left. I am alone in the apartment. Which, don’t get me wrong, is nice! I enjoy the space, I enjoy the quiet, I enjoy being able to do what I want. I can do whatever I want! But, what I want is not always what I need. For example, I have never watched so much Netflix, consecutively, before in my life. (Or so it seems) What I need to do is to be productive and diligent. I need to actually do my work for school and the internship! Netflix does not help either of these. I know I wrote about a similar situation before where I didn’t do much (or anything for that matter) for the entire day and it led, frankly, to an awful day! I am fearful that being alone, where I am more susceptible to laziness, will lead to more awful days.


Ok, this is not the how I should be thinking. I should not be dwelling on the negative side of what might happen. This, most likely, will lead to more depressive moods and even less productive days. The scary thing is how much my mind and my body are drawn to laziness. One way to fight this is to get out. Get out of the apartment and be with friends, be with people. Be out in public. That's one way. Another is to draw nearer to God. Through His Word, in prayer, meditation; all of which is glorifying to God and a comfort for the soul. There can be no greater comfort! (Although, did you notice the order I placed my thoughts? First, get out, then God...) Both of these are...well...hard to do. Very hard. I don't always want to leave the comforts of my apartment, and when I'm hours into Netflix I don't always want to read the Bible or pray. 

I feel like I need to have the answer. Right now! Right here on this blog. I must have the cure to loneliness to be anything, but alas, I do not. I do not have another strategy. And these strategies I don't even employ all the time. So, where am I going with all of this? Not entirely sure. I need prayer. And praise God that he does not leave me! Even when I'm feeling lonely, he does not leave! What a wonderful and glorious God we have!

Thank you!     

No comments:

Post a Comment