Friday, May 23, 2014

Wednesday 5/21/14 - My Story/Our Story

Wednesday 5/21/14 - My Story/Our Story

Surprisingly, this day has been revolving around a specific theme. The theme is that of my story, or my history. Not specifically mine, although some of it was focused around my story, but more the universal story of believers. (I will explain further in a moment) This morning I moved out of my apartment and into another for several weeks while I am working for my church as the interim youth director. Later, I spent some time with a Pastor from my friend's church. Later, went to youth group. Finally, spent some time with friends at a birthday party. 

When I met with the Pastor, we (mostly him) talked about what it looks like to have a story. More importantly, how to take our history and not let the negative or positive affect our story in Christ. Our personal history is important. It shows the massive amount of grace God has given to us. I often overlook this, but one area of grace is in the fact that I am alive. The fact that you are alive. There is many other areas in my history where I can specifically point to the grace and mercy of God, but simply the fact that we woke up is grace! Our story is important too, but often we allow our circumstances tell our story. For instance, when I'm asked about myself, I often go to facts about myself. "I'm a student. I'm 22. I'm fast. I'm ..." These are facts about myself that give a handful of information about myself, but it does not fully communicate the nature of my being, namely, that I am a sinner saved by grace. I'm a child of God. That Christ is my righteousness. That I'm united to him and he is united to me. My story is exactly the same as everyone else who has been born again by the Spirit! Our conversion happened at different times and places, but the act is all the same. What a wonderful thought! This is how I can call other believers brothers and sisters. United to Christ, to the one Christ, we are all in the same family of God.

Later on in the evening, at youth group, we were discussing evangelism (Ironically convicting...)! To finish out the series we decided to talk about our story. We looked at how our Maker made us, the mess we've made because of sin, and the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and his righteousness and love for us! It was awesome to see the students thinking hard about their story and how Christ has transformed them!

Thank you!     

No comments:

Post a Comment